I woke up this morning with a stubborn purpose: continue my weekly attendance at Saturday morning's Depot Parkrun 5K, which is a few blocks south of downtown Gainesville. The race, or run/walk as the organizers like to call it to make it seem less competitive, starts at 7:30. Only problem is that today, less than a mile away, is an anti-Trump protest rally scheduled at nearby Roberson Park from 9 to noon. Determined to avoid parking hassles from people trying to get there early, I managed to get out of the house in time to drive down and snag a decent slot at the park. Typical for this time of year, it was warm and muggy with race time temperature at 75 with 70% humidity. I had decided to run this one, again without the intent to set any personal best but to just "SWOJ", or "summer work-out jog". My sometimes-bonkers phone weather app had the rain probability at 79% for this morning but the skies were crystal clear. When the race began...and during most of it for that matter...I found myself running in the company of pretty much the same people: that's less common than you might think. I was naturally very uncomfortable with the heat/humidity combination for the whole run, but compared with others I fared very well, maintaining the same steady pace (or, as I call it, "groove") throughout. I finished with a time of 28:09...click HERE to view the posted results. Afterward I took a change of clothes into the park restroom and headed down to the Dunkin' Donuts near my home in north Gainesville, avoiding the protest...more on that in another article. I have to decide whether to renew my US Road Running membership before I decide whether to sign up for the June 28 race they're holding here in Gainesville. If I don't, then I still have Depot Parkrun and, starting July 12, another Parkrun at West End Park off Newberry Road in Tioga...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment