The weather forecasts this past week looked ahead to a wet and stormy weekend here in north-central Florida, so I knew there was a chance of rain for this morning's Depot Parkrun 5K. It's a free weekly event held Saturdays at 7:30 at Depot Park a few blocks south of downtown Gainesville...you can sign up online where they issue you a barcode you take with you to be scanned following the race in order to get your results posted online. I got up around 5:45 and went outside...no rain yet, but I did hear some ominous, rolling thunder from high in the overcast skies. Almost going back to bed knowing that they'd cancel the Parkrun if there was any lightning, I decided in the end to make a go at it and drove down there. As it turned out, there wasn't any rain or thunder during the race, but the combination of temperature (69 degrees) and humidity (94%) presented its own challenge to participants...and me. I wasn't sure at first whether I'd run or speed-walk it today, but just before it started I decided to once again work on establishing a regular "groove" of a running pace and braved the crappy weather. I wasn't comfortable at all throughout the race, but since I was passing a number of runners in the second half with no one passing me, I guess I must have been at least a little better conditioned to it all, finishing with a time of 28:04, 15 seconds faster than last week's. You can see today's results by clicking HERE. Some time this month I intend to do another speed-walk, hoping to get my finishing time back to under forty minutes like it was before my surgery a couple of months ago...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment