Wednesday, May 28, 2025

My Song of the Month for May 2025

It's nearing the end of May, and so it's time for me to discuss which songs meant the most personally to me during this past month. I continue to enjoy listening to other tunes I've selected for January through April as my "songs of the month", and they generally are current releases.  For May, though, I finally succeeded in identifying one song whose melody and singing style stuck with me but frustrated me as to its title and artist...but no longer. It's an established group, the Australian duo Empire of the Sun, and the song is actually from 2008, titled Walking on a Dream.  I love the wailing kind of singing in its chorus, and it's actually an act that my daughter Rebecca likes and earlier had discussed with me.  What I don't understand is how, back when it was first released and popular, I didn't notice it. Anyway, Walking on a Dream is my choice as "song of the month" for May, 2025. A few days ago I took the time to listen to Arcade Fire's latest album, released just under three weeks ago, titled Pink Elephant.  As I tend to do with other artists I enjoy listening to, I tried my hardest to enjoy it.  But track after track escaped me...until the very last one, titled Stuck in My Head.  And that song was pretty brilliant.  I have a feeling that it may go down as June's best song for me, and I am sure to give the other tracks on the album multiple listens...sometimes a tune just has to grow on me. So, here's the list for my 2025 songs of the month so far:

January    Everyone Out by Diiv
February  Starburster by Fontaines DC
March      Under the Rug by Arcy Drive 
April        Nothing I Need by Lord Huron 
May         Walking on a Dream by Empire of the Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment