Earlier today the Masters Tournament, the first of the professional golfing four "majors" of the year, began in Augusta, Georgia. Justin Rose finished the first round at 7 under par, a three-stroke lead over defending Masters champion Scottie Scheffler. I watched much of the TV coverage, which was carried on ESPN. It was fun to recognize most of the golfers, and I was a little surprised by Rory McIlroy, who looked as if he might challenge Rose for the first round lead, only to experience some bad holes late on the "back nine" and find himself far back in the field. For this major tournament, the LIV tour, the established PGA's rival in golfing, contributed its own star golfers that I usually don't get to see, like Bryson DeChambeau, Jon Rahm and Sergio Garcia...nice to see them out there all competing together with the PGA's own. Frankly, after watching some of the LIV "action" in some of their tournaments, I was disappointed, not only in this league's overemphasis on team golf, but also in the televised coverage that focused way too heavily on putting and over-hyping its biggest names. Now that some of them are back "down to earth" with the rest of the pros, let's see how they do. For one, I'd like to see Bryson do well: he's just one stroke behind Scheffler...
Thursday, April 10, 2025
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment