This morning I drove out to Gainesville's Depot Park, just south of downtown, to participate in yet another of their Saturday morning free 5K Parkruns. Sometimes I speed-walk the four laps around the pretty park there, but I usually run it like a race...that's what I did today. It was 65 degrees and a stifling 97% humidity at 7:30 race time, though, and as is usually the case, I gave myself permission to just cover the distance if the muggy heat started to mess with me. But all went well, weather-wise, and although the conditions were admittedly uncomfortable I found myself well-prepared to keep a reasonable pace going throughout, finishing at 27: 32. There were a lot of people there this morning, including some little kids for whom this event was brand new and unfamiliar. I wish them the best with their running futures, including figuring out that you don't sprint past other runners and then come to a grinding, sudden halt immediately in front of them, forcing folks like myself to take evasive action to avoid a collision. That was a bit annoying, at least at the beginning, but in Parkruns you get quite a cross-section of the human population on the course, and even some canines...sometimes evasive action is necessary with these as well. I'm glad I went there...click HERE to view today's results (when they're finally posted). You can join in on the Parkrun experience by Googling their website and signing up (as said, for free). They'll provide you barcodes that you can print out and take with you to the race for them to scan so that your finishing time can be posted with all the others. Parkrun began in England and has spread worldwide, growing here in the USA...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment