Monday, February 10, 2025

About Yesterday's Super Bowl Contest

A few weeks ago at the start of the National Football League 2024 season playoffs, I listed the participating teams in the order of my liking.  For the American Conference I had Kansas City as my favorite and with the National it was my home state's Tampa Bay...with Philadelphia in second place.  So yesterday's Super Bowl matchup between the Chiefs and Eagles was pretty good as far I was concerned.  Yet although back then I liked KC more than Philly, something happened during the course of events that reversed that.  Former Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll is someone with an admittedly flawed past (see his tenure coaching USC), yet I was captured by his style and enthusiasm while coaching in the pros.  And he has just been hired as the new head coach of the Raiders, a team that I had grown to root against over the course of the decades.  Formerly based in Oakland, and for a few years in Los Angeles, they are now in Las Vegas and are big division rivals of Kansas City.  Beyond my geographical support for Florida teams, I tend to gravitate toward teams whose players and/or coaches earn my respect and admiration.  Already a fan of Pete's, that kind of diminished the Chiefs for me by comparison and elevated the Eagles.  So when Philadelphia pretty much demolished Kansas City in yesterday's Super Bowl held in New Orleans, that was quite all right with me.  I don't know how the Raiders will do next year...it'll be interesting to see how fast Carroll can turn them around from their dismal last-place season in '24.  As for the "who's who" celebrities attending the game, who cares: I'm guessing that most of them were there just to be seen and talked about, including He Who Must Not Be Named...

No comments:

Post a Comment