Anticipating sub-thirty temperatures this morning as I set out to run, for the fourth time, the Newnan's Lake 15K...just a short distance east of Gainesville off Hawthorne Road...I planned in advance for the event with two layers of wicking long-sleeved shirts and full-length running pants. Melissa lent me her gloves to fend off the cold on my sensitive hands, and I was good to go. The last time I ran Newnan's Lake was 2018: there were noticeably fewer entrants this time around, and I had no trouble finding a parking spot. No need for porta-potties, either: the fishing ramp park from which this race is staged has its own restroom facilities. When the race began at 8:30, it was around 28 degrees, no wind to speak of, and around 80% humidity. The race course went a bit down the side of Hawthorne Road westward until it turned right at Lake Shore Drive. Then we ran for a while down that road, with marshy Newnan's Lake on our right. The road eventually transformed into East University Avenue, which we went down with some small detours as we turned around after 4.65 miles, going back the way we came. The first part of the run seemed for me to be mostly upwardly sloped, so returning down it the other way was a bit of a relief. I had to unzip my outer shirt/jacket as the day (and my body) heated up, along with shedding those gloves that were so helpful early on. Lately on these longer-distance races I've tended to exceed my intended pace...happened again! But although I felt sore and part of me wanted to take a walking break, I kept general pace with the runners in front of me and finished with a time of 1 hour 25 minutes 22 seconds, which turns out to be my third highest 15K finish ever (of nine). You can view today's results by clicking HERE. My recovery from today's race is going fine...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment