On this next-to-last day of the month, I thought it was close enough to the end to discuss January regarding my running, walking and swimming. Let's eliminate swimming up front: it didn't happen in January, primarily because of colder-than-usual weather. With walking...at least speed-walking...I still practiced it at home but didn't do it in any of my races. I'm considering speed-walking the Depot Parkrun 5K this coming Saturday morning, but that's in a new month. Now with running, there's a lot to report. On New Year's Day I ran my first officially timed mile since college in the fall of 1974 (I did a passable 5:25 then at age 18). It was the Frank Shorter Mile, organized by the Florida Track Club, and I enjoyed the experience although I was much slower than decades ago at 8:25. In mid-January the same group held the Mary Andrews Half-Marathon, which I completed under adversely cold weather conditions after it was delayed a day because of thunderstorms. A week later I did the Newnan's Lake 15K in similarly freezing conditions. The rest of January saw me finish four Depot Parkrun 5Ks, three of them all-out runs and one a walk with Melissa through the course. At home I practiced running daily, and added some resistance training, regularly and incrementally doing push-ups and dead hangs. In January my date for prostate removal surgery was set in early March, and I've been cleared to continue with my running and other athletic activities. I already signed up to run the Micanopy Ten-Miler race on the 8th...it will be my third time with this event. Otherwise, I plan to go to Depot Park and run or walk their Saturday morning 5K race. I feel completely well and energetic, which as I've written before doesn't exactly mesh with my recent prostate cancer diagnosis. Oh well, looking forward to new adventures, athletic or medical...a little travel at some point would be cool, too...
Thursday, January 30, 2025
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment