Hello, it's me, I'm not at home. If you'd like to reach me, leave me alone! ---Sheryl Crow
And so goes talented rock musician Sheryl Crow's wonderful late 90's song A Change Would Do You Good, maybe my favorite one of hers. Of course, here she's mimicking a telephone answering machine...remember those? And the message sounds a bit paradoxical, doesn't it? I mean, how can you convey an intended message without actively engaging with the one who you'd want to receive it? But that's not really what Sheryl was singing about, I think. No, it's a blunt statement about someone being overrun by others' unwelcome intrusions on her time and life, no matter how well-intentioned they might be. Or maybe I'm just imposing my own meaning on these lyrics...yeah, that's probably true. I truly don't dig being completely immersed in complex social settings where all kinds of subtleties, intrigues and nuanced meanings are being communicated back and forth among various players, some of whom may or may not be trying to involve me in some way with their agendas. No, give me a one-on-one setting where it's simple, mutually-respectful conversation and I can handle that pretty well. Otherwise...well, read that above quote again...
No comments:
Post a Comment