After our charity fundraiser walk at Celebration Pointe for the fight against breast cancer, Melissa and I decided to attend the opening day in Gainesville's twice-a-year Friends of the Library used book and media sale, on the 400 block of North Main Street. Arriving only a couple of hours after its opening, we were taken a little aback at the still-long lines of people waiting to enter the sale's warehouse site...but we persevered and made it inside. The sale was as it usually was...some things change little over the years. What was different is that I didn't buy anything, although Melissa did pick up three 50-cent paperbacks. The browsing was fun, though, and I'm glad we went. After parking a few blocks away from the sale, we had walked through the half-empty parking lot of the county elections office, where they were holding early voting for the general election. One thing led to another and before you knew it, the two of us were in there, casting our votes. Whew, glad that's over, now I can just forget about all that political crap, right? Wrong, sigh...this country's hopelessly hooked on it, and my workplace by its very nature throws it in my face whether I like it or not. I do care who wins, along with the referendum questions. But beyond my vote, which represents just a drop in the ocean of the final results, I resolve to be at peace with it all and deal with the things in my life I actually have some modicum of control over. But all in all, I'm glad we voted...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment