Tuesday, October 29, 2024

Anybody Else Following the '24 World Series?

 This past Saturday, if you looked hard enough among all the TV channels featuring college football games, you might have discovered that Major League Baseball's vaunted World Series had begun.  I'm curious: without first looking it up, do you even know who's playing?  Or, for that matter, have you ever followed baseball?  When I was a little kid, I collected (along with my father) baseball cards we cut out of the back of Post cereal boxes.  I knew of Mickey Mantle, Willy Mays, Roger Maris and Yogi Berra...to name a few...but at the time (1962, I was around six) I didn't really know anything about the game itself.  You step up to home plate, swing at the ball the pitcher throws at you with your bat, and try to make first base.  But I had never played the game, and to be perfectly truthful, at my more advanced age of 68 I still haven't.  Oh sure, we would have weeks in school physical education class when softball would be the sport of interest, but even our version of that game was modified a bit.  Nevertheless, I came to enjoy following it, especially with the beginning of the 1969 season...that was the year the "Miracle Mets" astonished everyone and won it all.  Then, over the years I'd sometimes keep up with what was going on...and sometimes the World Series would pass by with hardly a notice.  I do notice one thing: whereas before I would be more interested in the teams, now I like to sit back and observe the process of the unfolding game.  This 2024 season saw a traditionally familiar matchup in the World Series: the American League champion New York Yankess vs. the National League's pennant-winning Los Angeles Dodgers.  Before tonight's contest...played in Yankee Stadium in the Bronx...L.A. had won the series' first three games, largely through the home run heroics of their first baseman Freddie Freeman, and were aiming for a series sweep.  And wouldn't you know, Freeman stepped up again early on and delivered yet another home run, putting them ahead.  But the Yankee bats woke up finally and pounded out 11 runs, handily winning this contest.  So tonight they'll be at it again, and without all those college football games to compete against for viewers' attention... 

No comments:

Post a Comment