This past weekend the US Open professional tennis tournament, taking place in the Flushing Meadows complex in Queens, New York, concluded with the women and men finals. Aryna Sabalenka and Jannik Sinner, two of the favorites, took the titles in each category and I'm happy with that. Actually, I'm happy with whoever wins, quite the opposite of the typical fanatically partisan fan...and I don't give a hoot about which country they are from. These players all work hard to perfect their craft, and this is the big opportunity for them to display their efforts to the world...good for them. I will say that the sport of tennis is extremely competitive, more so than, say, running, swimming or golf. In those sports, one can gauge their progress and success by their finishing times or by how many strokes they take to complete the course. With tennis, though, the pertinent statistics are almost completely dependent on the direct competition...if your opponent is playing extraordinarily well, then you're going to look worse regardless of how well you're playing. I'd like to follow tennis more...maybe I'll check out the Tennis Channel from time to time to see what's going on. As for my own level of playing, let's just say that I did complete a beginner's class in the sport while at college (in 1975) and have played very little since...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment