Thursday, August 29, 2024

US Open Tennis Tournament Underway, How Much Can I Watch?

I was surprised to notice the other day that the US Open tennis tournament, held annually in New York and part of the sport's vaunted Grand Slam, had already begun with first round play.  Unfortunately, the regular channels on my lineup weren't carrying it...I'm assuming that some network wants more paying customers for one of their "premium" channels and was showing it there.  In any event, last night it was the second round and ESPN was finally showing it...sadly, by the time I got home from work they were done and back in football discussion mode.  Tennis, like horse racing, is a sport that I typically do not follow unless there is a special event going on.  With tennis it's the US Open, not the Australian, French or Wimbledon events.  I think that's in large part because three years ago I was home recovering from open heart surgery and had a lot of time on my hands to watch TV, and there it was, the US Open. I'm looking forward to seeing how the stars fare in their early play as well as take notice of this year's upstart underdogs...and there are always a few of those. For the longest time I refused to watch any tennis because the players in bygone years used to argue bitterly with line judges as to whether the ball fell in or out of bounds...in recent years computer technology has "virtually" eliminated that snag. Let's see how far good ol' Novak Djokovic gets this time around...

No comments:

Post a Comment