US Road Running is a nationwide network of running races that are typically staged within various parks. They usually involve limited course lengths with numerous laps and "there-and-back" instructions to complete the course. I noticed them a few years ago when they called themselves "Medal Madness" and had races at Ocala's Baseline Trailhead Park that ranged up to half marathon in length. I had often considered driving down there...some forty miles away...just to see what they were like, but alas, never got around to it. They started one of their monthly races in Gainesville just a month ago, and the location is the very convenient Albert Massey "Westside" Park just a short drive from my home. The Gainesville version is held on the fourth Saturday each month, and races for distances of one mile, 5K, 10K and 15K all begin at the same time, 8 AM. I signed up for a yearly subscription, knowing that I'd quickly recoup my investment with the 50% discounts for each race. Missing July's race, I resolved to try it this month, and this morning I completed their 10K (6.2-mile) event. The temperature at race time was 73 with 100% humidity and mostly clear skies...unpleasant to put it lightly. Along with some 20+ other runners/walkers (most of whom did the 5K), we took off pretty much on time. There were only two people I saw working the race, which was very low-tech. On the back side of the course I got a little lost a couple of times and had to backtrack, but ultimately figured it all out. The 5K has you going down this winding path through and around the park for some .78 miles and then you turn around and head back to the starting line. Repeat it for a second time and you're done...my 10K had me doing it for four laps. I finished with a time of 1:00:45, which I believe was my fastest 10K performance since 2017...turns out only two other people signed up for that distance. I liked the low-key aspect to US Road Running, and they tend to go with special themes throughout the year: Pirate, Viking, Ninja and (today) Luau. I got a Luau participation medal for my efforts, and left feeling that maybe when the weather gets a little better I'd like to try their 15K distance (6 laps on the course). Click HERE to view today's results from their website...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It says a lot about how your dedication to trying to improve your race time is paying off. And if you can have a 7 year best time with weather conditions like that I'd say you're going to have a very good fall racing season.
ReplyDeleteIt looks as if your dedication to improving your race time is paying off. And with a 7-year best under those racing conditions, I'd say you're going to have a great fall racing season.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Becky, I'll be looking forward to those cooler mornings, for sure!
ReplyDelete