Have you been following the political conventions this year? The Democratic version is just finishing up and, as with the Republicans a few weeks before, I thoroughly ignored it other than happenstance momentarily hitting up on a station covering it while surfing the radio or TV. When I did run across the convention, inevitably someone would be up there giving an insanely giddy and emotional speech, doubtless (accurately) assessing the susceptibility of the general population to manipulation. Cynics like the late comedian George Carlin have expressed the futility of even voting, period. I'm not at that point...I still vote...but beyond giving upcoming elections a brief-but-reasonable piece of my attention, I just let it go and let the fools freak out on Facebook, Fox and the other propaganda outlets. And, as I am more and more getting accustomed to say, believe whatever you want to believe...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's so different watching the US elections from afar. There's a lot going on in the world and while, of course, the elections there are covered here, it's not that constant cacophony of newsfeeds trying to one up each other with their teaser headlines as they continue to blur the line between news and opinions. Once an election is called here it is then held in 5 weeks time (of course, when the population is only about 25 million they can do things like that). I do have an interest in the elections and take my voting very seriously, but I'm glad I don't have to listen to 2 years worth of politicking before I can cast my vote.
ReplyDelete