Tuesday, August 6, 2024

About the Upcoming August Primary Election

Before the general election in November, my state of Florida is holding a primary election on August 20th.  I opted out of the vote-by-mail system and plan to cast my ballot in person that Tuesday morning.  In partisan nominating contests, the US Senate seat currently held by Republican Rick Scott is being contested, although I doubt his GOP challengers will garner many votes.  On the Democratic side four candidates are vying to replace Scott next January when the new term begins. US representative, state representative and Alachua County sheriff constitute the other partisan contests on the August ballot.  Then we go on to the county school board, with two incumbents being challenged.  And there is one county commission race and one city commission race there as well.  I'm not sure what good my one vote will do with each of the available races, it being just a drop in the bucket, as the cliche goes. But as with other elements of my life, I've grown to consider consistent, reasoned voting whenever the opportunity arises to be a worthwhile personal discipline that ties me in...no matter how tenuously...with the society around me.  May the best candidates win, and may all the eventual winners perform their duties conscientiously and ethically while I wish them success regardless of whether I voted for them...

2 comments:

  1. I haven't missed voting in a Presidential election since I left the US in 1996. If I can, I try to be in Gainesville on the day so I can vote in person, if not, I do a postal vote. This year I will vote there in person, but only for the federal elections. Since I don't live there full time I don't feel I should have a vote in local elections and so I nearly always leave those blank. See you at the polls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It used to be that when I didn't like the incumbent who had challengers in a primary race, I'd go for the challenger. But lately it seems that the challengers are even worse than the person in office...maybe I should leave those races blank, too.

    ReplyDelete