Thursday, May 23, 2024

Speed-Walked 5 Miles Through Neighborhood This Morning

Today, as planned, I did a neighborhood walk this morning in purely fast-walk mode, no running. But I did extend my planned distance of 3.3 miles to 5 instead...it worked out well.  The temperature was 82 with a 56% humidity...nice conditions for this time of year.  The roads were mostly clear...other than the trash and recyclables pickup and numerous lawn and repair vehicles, that is.  I walked as I would have on one of my weekly Depot Park runs, never tiring or feeling winded.  Yet there is still some constraint on my walking speed that I'm sure will diminish as I do it more and develop the appropriate muscles and hip mobility.  I finished with a time of 1:08:14 and walked the distance to a shuffled mix of Nirvana songs provided by Amazon Music.  One big difference between my neighborhood outings and the more "official" races: when training informally near my house I use heavier Nike Air Monarch athletic shoes while with the races I wear a much lighter Brooks model...both are several years old and probably could use replacing. I thoroughly enjoyed today's walk, and as a general rule plan to do such walks mid-week when circumstances permit...

No comments:

Post a Comment