Saturday, May 11, 2024

Ran Today's Gainesville Depot Parkrun 5K

This morning I sprang out of bed before my irritating phone alarm was about to go off and prepared myself for yet another Depot Parkrun 5K, a free, volunteer-run Saturday community event at the pleasant nature/recreation park bearing that name just a few blocks south of downtown Gainesville.  I knew this race would be warmer and more humid...with the temperature at 7:30 race time rising in the low 70s and the humidity around 90% (and no cloud cover), it turned out pretty much as I had expected.  There seemed to be more people there than usual...I had to park in the overflow side lot.  My plan today was to run/walk the event, so every 6 minutes I ran briskly, then walked fast for 50 seconds...this seemed to keep me fresh under the weather conditions until I finished.  My time was 29:11, not close to my personal best here at Depot Park but still under 30 minutes.  Melissa did her own 5K this morning as well...on the treadmill.  She suggested that perhaps the Parkrun seems longer than 5K (3.1 miles)...maybe I'll measure it on my phone app next time around.  Click HERE to see today's results...

No comments:

Post a Comment