Once again not at all feeling like I wanted to do this, I somehow got up late this afternoon and trained around my neighborhood, this time alternating 2 minutes of moderate running with 3 minutes of speed walking. I had my 9.3 mile course pre-planned, covering most of the residential streets looping through my northern Gainesville home subdivision and the adjacent one. The sky was mostly clear with a light breeze throughout my venture, while the temperature averaged 86 degrees with 58% humidity...not very conducive to intense workouts, to say the least. I deliberately added the minute of walking to divide the alternating distances covered between that and running more evenly as well as to relieve the stress on my body caused by the increase in both distance and the (for all practical purposes) summer heat. It worked quite well as I kept up both my running and walking paces to athletic levels throughout and finished the distance at 1:49:26, with an easy recovery while I chugged down the Gatorade. My music for today, provided by Amazon Music, was a mix of Radiohead tracks. Unlike Jeff Galloway's system of run/walk where the walking is inserted more or less as a brief periodic break in the primarily running process, what I did today...and plan to continue on future Sunday workouts...is to make the entire time out there an intense exercise with walking assuming an equal "footing" with running. I still think I have more potential for improvement with my walking, both regarding my form and my leg strength. We'll see how this all progresses. This Thursday morning, weather and life-in-general permitting, I plan to do a shorter neighborhood speed-walk and see how I do...should be fun, as it all should be...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment