Since I haven't yet retired and have Saturdays and Sundays off, I've grown into the habit of watching armchair sports, enjoying golf, tennis, baseball, basketball, soccer...and even football from time to time. Yesterday I got so frustrated watching a baseball game between the Los Angeles Dodgers and St. Louis Cardinals that I simply muted the sound: suddenly the game itself came more alive and interesting to me, and the lack of accompanying noise did nothing to detract from the suspenseful ending of an enjoyable, close game when Dodger third baseman Max Muncy slammed a two-run home in the bottom of the eighth to pull out an improbable come-from-behind win against the Redbirds. Improbable, I'm sure: I suppose that due to the heavy emphasis on sports betting nowadays, just above the screen's score they had posted the current odds that one team or the other would win. Just before Muncy's homer the Card's were favored with a 65% chance...immediately afterwards it drastically switched to Dodgers with 87%. Let's face it: they're simply bombarding us with too much stuff on the screen...it's as if the powers-that-be in the network have concluded that we're all attention-deficit challenged...
Monday, April 1, 2024
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment