Always carry a notebook. And I mean always. The short-term memory only retains information for three minutes; unless it is committed to paper you can lose an idea forever. ---Will Self
Will Self is an English journalist and writer...no, I've yet to read any of his output (other than the above quote). I already follow his advice to carry a notebook...well, in my case a memo pad as well as a slew of folded-up pieces of paper that tend to get misplaced. I think I have a reasonably good memory, but it frustrates me when I am searching my recent past for details of experiences or thoughts that seem to have slipped away from me...can I ever retrieve them? For example, the cruise that Melissa and I went on earlier this month started in the early afternoon of the 2nd, on Saturday, and ended a week later in the morning on the 9th. Let's see...today's the 15th so my experiences should still be fresh in my memory. But, of course, some memories tend to quickly fade while some others tend to undergo some distortion. Today I'd like to see how much I can remember about what I ate during this Royal Caribbean cruise from Tampa to the western Caribbean and back. Turns out there was a lot to remember...
Sounds like a lot, but I know there's a lot more food that I stuffed into my mouth during this outing but simply cannot remember. But I wonder if, had I not stopped at this juncture today to recall as much as I could, would most of these memories also have slipped by the wayside. I don't know if I'd like Will Self's writing...maybe I'll venture to find out before long. But since I wrote about him on this blog it is tantamount to using a notebook, isn't it, and that makes the reference to him much less likely to be forgotten. On the other hand, I can't just go around constantly writing down everything I experience, either. By the way, my favorite dinner on the cruise was on "Italian Night", when they served minestrone soup for the appetizer, lasagna as the main entreé, and tiramisu for dessert. Nothing I hadn't had before, but the ship's kitchen produced the very best of each of these I had ever eaten...
No comments:
Post a Comment