On our cruise earlier this month, on the ship's sixth deck, near their Starbucks store, was an informal "library" area where passengers could donate books they'd already read and select another from the shelf. I found there a 2013 detective novel by the late Scottish writer Marion Chesney, probably better known under her pseudonym M.C. Beaton, titled Something Borrowed, Someone Dead. It's one of more than thirty novels she wrote in her Agatha Raisin detective series, and was a fun departure from my recent slew of non-fiction books. The English sleuth Agatha Raisin, with her collection of supportive characters, delves into a mysterious poisoning of an obnoxious recently-moved-in woman who has alienated pretty much her entire little town with her flirting with married man there and her tendency to either borrow others' property without returning it or simply stealing it outright...pretty soon practically no one wants to associate with her. Her last mistake is to steal a bottle of wine from a neighbor's cellar...she is found dead, poisoned. Who did it? Plenty of suspects, but Agatha soon finds that everyone in the town wants to squash her investigation and cover up the dastardly deed. There are plenty of ongoing subplots with the series' regular characters, and I can see how readers could be drawn to Beaton's witty writing. As a matter of fact, I might just read the whole series...but let's see if I can't read them in chronological order: the one I just read was #24...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment