After writing recently about Melissa and me scheduling another cruise this year, it occurred to me that I hadn't much discussed the one we were just on. It was a March 2-8 Royal Caribbean Western Caribbean cruise, and our stops had us in Mexico (Costa Maya/Mahahual, Cozumel) and Honduras (Roatan). Our ship was called "Enchantment of the Seas"...it is reportedly an older model and smaller than the "Allure of the Seas" we took in February, 2020 on the eve of the COVID era. I wasn't thrilled about the foreign excursions we took this time, but I guess they do bear discussing in some future article. I liked more the time we spent on board the ship, with our outer balcony overlooking the water, as well as the food, pools, and generally relaxed ambiance. My favorite destination was the 9th Deck Solarium, restricted to adults...although truth be told I liked having the kids on board this cruise. Since the Royal Caribbean ships have similar structures, I'm interested in comparing the one were just on to our next one to Alaska...necessarily so since it will be moving through a much colder climate...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
We've been on Radiance of the Seas a number of times and find that one to be the perfect size for us. We've done one trip circumnavigating Australia, two trips from Sydney to Vancouver and one from Vancouver to Seward, Alaska all on that ship. The trans-pacific cruises take about a month and for us, it's about being at sea, not which ports of call we might have. All my life I have found myself drawn to being in the middle of the ocean where the only thing you see is 360 degrees of water. On board, I feel as if I'm living in a little village of 2000 people for a month...not too small and not too big. Everyday we go up and down the stairs (from deck 2 to deck 13) 10 times so we can get our daily exercise in. Unfortunately, Royal Caribbean is going to the larger vessels and we don't think we will like those so much. For one thing, I want to feel the ship moving and I wonder if I will be able to do that on these massively big ships. But we figure we'll just have to give them a try if we want to continue cruising. So we've booked ourselves on Ovation of the Seas for a cruise next year going from Brisbane, Australia to Vanuatu and back which will take 8 days. I'm hoping we don't find the size too daunting and that we continue to enjoy cruising well into the future.
ReplyDeleteJust to correct my previous comment. We will be criusing on Quantam of the Seas, not Ovation.
ReplyDeleteI love going up and down stairs...when I was at UF in the seventies I stayed at Beaty Towers on the 9th floor and would always run up and down the stairs, avoiding the elevator, even when carrying a load of books. On our last cruise we would regularly walk on their walking/running path on the outer perimeter of the 10th deck with the high seas on the side. Looking forward to seeing what the new boat offers!
ReplyDelete