Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Just Finished Reading The Silver Arrow by Lev Grossman

Lev Grossman is the dude who wrote the very excellent fantasy series The Magicians...one of my all-time favorites in that genre but which sadly was hopelessly mangled in the adapted television series bearing the same title.  In 2020 he had published The Silver Arrow, a fantasy series aimed at children...having just discovered it I checked it out and just finished reading it.  Kate gets a special present for her 11th birthday from her eccentric billionaire Uncle Herbert: a train, and a full-size, functioning one at that...move over, Polar Express! With her brother Tom, they start it up and go off on their own fantastic adventure, picking up along the way various talking animals who have their own special destinations.  There is some kind of murky antagonist alluded to, but the story ultimately points the finger of blame straight back at humanity, for mistreating and endangering the wild animals of the world.  So yes, this is a story with a Lorax-like moralistic, preachy theme to it...I'm okay with it, though, since this one happens to be tragically true.  I wonder what the rest of the books in this series are like...guess I'll have to read the next one to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment