Thursday, November 2, 2023

My Progress So Far on Budding Podcasting Efforts

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about considering starting my own podcast, with the same basic goal as my writing except that it would be speaking instead.  Again, I want to instill a regular, disciplined habit of publicly available expression, this time making it verbal.  I mentioned that preliminary to starting an actual podcast I would make unrecorded monologues about preset topics during my drives to and from work.  Well, that was an eye opener for me, with me stumbling about tongue-tied for the most part, more a stream of disconnected consciousness coming from my mouth than a coherent narrative...is that really how I think? I do think I've improved a bit, and I've decided to alter the strategy with my "carcasts", as I call them, to do a "rough draft monologue" on the drive to work, let the results simmer in my mind for a few hours, and then on the drive home revisit the topic, hopefully in a more structured and comprehendible (to others) way.  I get that most of your regular podcasters develop outlines, some detailed, beforehand of what they will discuss om a podcast.  I'm not yet at that point, preferring right now to make the experience more extemporaneous.  Yesterday, for example, I set out to discuss the University of Florida campus as I remember it and as it is today.  During the first monologue I felt I was awkwardly groping about to find something to say while in the second, I felt more organized and with more knowledge at quick recall.  Now let's see what my carcast topic for today will be... 

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea of thinking about (refining?) your car-cast and then doing it again on your way home. I actually do that with nearly all of my written communications. The first time through usually doesn't really get across what I want to say, but when I do it a second time it comes out more true to what I want to get across.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a more pleasing way to package a presentation, and it doesn't always conform to the way it originates in my mind. It seems giving it a little time for another "draft" to arise helps in this way. And sometimes in the process I perceive a newer, improved theme for the message.

    ReplyDelete