Once again, I managed to drag my sleepy body out of bed on a Saturday morning around six and got myself ready to drive down to Gainesville's pretty Depot Park, where the international, England-based non-profit organization Parkrun has been holding its free weekly, volunteer-run event at 7:30 since late 2018. I began the Depot Parkrun in January 2019 and, today, managed to finish my 25th run...they don't like to call them races, although they do post the finishes online with participants' names and times. I did speed-walk one race (I at least call them races) this past spring but haven't done one since, in spite of my intentions. This morning I ran the course again, finishing the 5K (3.1 mile) distance in 30:38: you can view the overall posted results by clicking HERE. Parkrun, which is now held in 1,913 different locations worldwide, has a system of rewarding regular participants with Milestone recognition at 25, 50, 100, and 250 cumulative runs. Since I just got to 25, I was able to order a t-shirt recognizing that accomplishment. I have to say that this event has been a blessing in my life, adding an element of discipline to my running and a healthy pressure to regularly run in a more social environment. I didn't feel quite as up to the run this morning as last week...as Winnie the Pooh would say, I had a "rumbly in my tumbly"...and the humidity was an unpleasant 92% although it was a nice 64 degrees at race time. I had planned afterward to go explore the Hawthorne Trail a little further, but there seemed to me a large number of walkers clogging the pathway and, as I said, I was probably physically better off going on home anyway. Later on in the day I ran another 4.2 miles...slowly...so it was a good day in that regard. Oh, one other thing...some of the people there were dressed up for Halloween in role-playing costumes: that was cute...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment