Over the past year I have become a pretty avid viewer of YouTube, a video platform run by Google (the same company that backs this blog). Among the many kinds of videos I like to watch are the virtual runs...the YouTube channel Runners Digest contains some of the best, with Treadmill Trainer also providing good material. These videos tend to be designed with treadmill running in mind, with the user pretending to be in an actual race while training at home or the gym. For me, I watch the videos at home while jogging around the house...no treadmill necessary. On this past October 8th, Staten Island, one of the five boroughs of New York City (and the starting point for the NYC Marathon), held a half marathon there. One of the entrants has a history of filming these types of races in the New York area from the perspective of a runner, and this video, posted on the Runners Digest channel, shows how much he has progressed in developing his video-making skills. Along with the usual screen of how a developing race looks to a runner in it, he also put at the top a sort of virtual "rear view mirror" showing how it appears looking back. And there are ongoing stats presented in the corner of the screen. Although on these sorts of race videos I prefer to just hear the actual sounds of the event, this one...like many others I've experienced...has pretty background music to accompany it instead: I can handle that, though. My only "experience" of Staten Island is with the NYC Marathon videos I've seen of it: in these there's just a large "herding" area for the tens of thousands of runners and then they're suddenly on a steep, long bridge out of there, leading to Brooklyn where much of the event takes place. In this race I just saw, though, you get to see a lot more of this interesting part of New York...click HERE to view it like I did...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment