Sunday, September 10, 2023

My Take on Sports This Weekend

This weekend in the sports world has been marked by football...the American brand, not soccer...and tennis.  The US Open tournament is concluding...yesterday Coco Gauff defeated Aryna Sabalenka in the Women's Singles championship while later this afternoon Novak Djokovic faces Daniil Medvedev in a rematch from the title match here two years ago that Medvedev convincingly won.  I'm looking forward to today's contest...and have to say that after watching college football yesterday and some early NFL games this afternoon, I may well have already had my fill of that sport for 2023.  I don't know...ever since former Florida Gators coach Dan Mullen claimed in 2021 that his team lost a close game at Texas A&M because they packed the stadium with fans in the middle of the Covid crisis and wouldn't it be great to "pack the Swamp" for UF's next home game, I've felt that people have lost their perspective on the importance of spectator sports.  Observing the often-tasteless outbreaks in the stands at the US Open tennis tourney in New York has only served to reinforce this feeling that sports have gotten out of hand.  Sure, I want my teams and players to win, but losing from time to time's okay, too.  But the frenzy surrounding football is way beyond the pale...even on the high school level it's all incredibly overrated.  I think in the future I'll just stick to watching golf...

No comments:

Post a Comment