To call running "fun" would be a misuse of the word. Running can be "enjoyable". Running can be "rejuvenating." But in a pure sense of the word, running is not fun. ---Dean Karnazes
Dean Karnazes is a popular ultra-long-distance runner and has extensively publicized the sport. The above quote is from his autobiographical book Marathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner, which I bought on my Kindle. The setting is his first-ever ultra race, the Western States Endurance Run of 100 miles. Not one who even remotely sees covering this type of distance for myself...even on a bicycle...I tend to take Dean's philosophical ramblings and apply them to shorter distances...much shorter distances, but still distance running all the same. And he's right about running not being fun although I think he's a little nit-picky about distinguishing that from "enjoyable". All the same, it's an activity more than a sport to me, although I have entered a number of races since I resumed running in 2007 at age 51. Dean Karnazes in his book describes how he would train in the wee hours of the morning running out on the streets, past businesses and through neighborhoods. Now in this world full of busybody "Karens", skittish armed residents and near-vigilante neighborhood watchers I'm not about to try to emulate that early morning routine of Karnazes, in spite of the fact that in this foul, excessively hot and humid stretch of the summer, at least weather-wise that would be the best time to run. No, I think I'll continue to train indoors, at the gym, and in broad daylight whenever I do venture down a neighborhood street. I'm still running, though, and continue to derive inspiration...as well as amusement...from Dean Karnazes' compelling personal story...
No comments:
Post a Comment