After months untold of not availing myself of my local gym, back in May I resolved to make a determined point of getting out there following work (I get off at 10 PM) and spending a few minutes on the treadmill and occasionally the elliptical cross-trainer. And I was pretty good about going there, too, resisting the temptation to just continue homeward and crash in front of the television. My main focus was building up my walking speed, as I am advancing in years (I will be 67 in October) and although I like to run long distances, I'm thinking that perhaps it would be better on my joints to mix in more low-impact walking with my running. I was successful at that, getting a sustainable walking pace of 5 mph (12-minute mile) before two different health issues sidelined me from vigorous physical activity. But now I am back in business again, Tuesday night using my Gainesville Health and Fitness gym after work and easily walking 1.6 miles on the treadmill at a more relaxed 4.4 mph pace. I plan to devote Tuesdays and Thursdays to gym visits, along with a resumption of my Saturday morning 5K racing at the Parkrun in Depot Park just south of downtown. One observation that hit me hard while at the gym last night: everyone there was very, VERY young and I was the only one around my age. I know that women have the option with GHF of using another location specifically designed for them: I don't suppose they could set aside some space somewhere for old folks like me...
Thursday, August 10, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment