Friday, July 14, 2023

Quote of the Week...from Ringo Starr

Well, actually here are two quotes from the great drummer for the Beatles, one short and one comparatively long:

The second side of Abbey Road is my favorite.

I've never been able to sit round on my own and play drums, practice in the back room, never been able to. I've always played with other musicians.  It's how I play, there's no joy for me in playing on my own, bashing away.  I need a bass, a piano, guitar, whatever, and then I can play.

A week ago, I was faced with a quandary: both Ringo Starr and science fiction writer Robert Heinlein had birthdays on July 7th, I picked the latter...but why not just feature the star of A Hard Day's Night today?  I totally get his take on Abbey Road, the last album recorded by the Fab Four before their acrimonious breakup that resulted in Paul McCartney suing the other members as well as their manager, Allen Klein.  When Abbey Road came out in 1969, I didn't hear it other than the singles release of Something and Come Together...I didn't care for either song.  But over the next couple of years, I began to hear other tracks, and was blown away by the Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End medley toward its end...featuring mainly Paul.  I say mainly because the start of The End is nothing other than a Ringo Starr drum solo...in fact, the only drum solo he ever recorded for them.  And from what I've read about that recording session, he was very nervous and uncomfortable about it.  Of course he was, that's obvious if you read the second quote above.  Ringo was always an accompanier, fitting in seamlessly with the rest of the band and what they were doing, never demanding the spotlight himself.  And yet, when he was in that first movie of theirs, he was brilliant.  I'm very happy that he's still around today and doing so well...all the best to you and yours, Ringo!

No comments:

Post a Comment