Saturday, June 3, 2023

Ran Gainesville's Depot Parkrun 5K This Morning

Last Saturday morning was unusually pleasant for this time of year, with the temperature dipping to the upper 50s with low humidity...today it returned to warm and humid: 69 degrees and 94% humidity at race time at Gainesville's free, volunteer-run weekly 5K event, the Depot Parkrun.  Depot Park is a few blocks south of downtown, accessible from both Main Street and Depot Road.  I had thought of volunteering for today's event, but it looked as if they had plenty of folks already signed up.  No problem: I ran it instead! It's always a bit challenging at the start of these runs since so many people are crowded together in such a small space, with establishing a workable, steady running pace next to impossible.  Since this "race" (they don't like to call it that for some reason) involves four laps around the park, I was able to get split times called out by one of those blessed volunteers.  As is usually the case, I had negative splits, with my fastest one by far being that final lap.  I finished with an improved time of 31:22, far from my best but a good effort anyway.  The good people running this show meet after the race at 9 in a nearby coffee shop (Opus Coffee on SW 4th Avenue) and invite anyone to join them...I'd like to go but not all hot and sweaty: maybe later in June when I walk the course again.  As for today's posted results, you can see them by clicking HERE...    

No comments:

Post a Comment