Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Podcaster Gives His Feelings about Money

Podcaster Rob Dial, on his show Mindset Mentor, recently gave his own take about the meaning of money for him...and naturally extended his conclusions to what attitudes each of us should have about the subject.  This in itself raises little warning alarms within me, for in our diverse society based in large part on economic freedom, that is, the liberty to decide what you do with your money, widely differing decisions folks make have combined to create the most prosperous economic culture in history.  Dial presents his own experiences...he makes no secret of the fact that he is one of those travel addicts, especially enamored with Italy.  I have no problem with this except that he seems to think we should all follow his footsteps in this regard, promoting his conclusions like a true evangelist.  The truth is that he found in his life a nice little money-making strategy for himself, worked very hard to achieve his goals and has become financially independent: good for him, nothing wrong with that!  I don't think, though, that his experiences are completely translatable to the population at large, even the much smaller body that tunes in to his podcasts.  Dial says that while being responsible about how we manage our money, we shouldn't be like Scrooge in treating it like wealth itself...by itself money is valueless, useful only in what it can bring us.  And to Rob Dial, whose financial blessings in his life have pretty much guaranteed him an easy retirement with plenty of moolah to fuel his every desire, he apparently interprets being careful with finances, to the extent that most of us are with more limited incomes and resources as we plan for our later years, as a mistake.  At least that's how I see it.  I travel, too, but I don't just pick up whenever I want and spend weeks somewhere across the world...if that's what you like to do and you have the resources to do it, then be like Rob Dial and do that: I'm happy for you.  This fits in with what I had earlier termed "our diverse society based in large part on economic freedom".  And I know of several people who have limited incomes and means and must be very careful about their finances.  So, although I deeply understand the "you can't take it with you" mentality of Dial's podcast about money, I felt he was a bit flippant and insensitive about the wide range of circumstances people find themselves in regarding it...

No comments:

Post a Comment