Monday, June 26, 2023

Podcaster Discusses Self-Displine

Last week personal development coach Rob Dial listed and discussed seven ways to help his listeners practice self-discipline.  He brings up a good point: when is practicing self-discipline bad for you?  Well, the only thing I could think of is that maybe some folks want to inculcate what they think are helpful habits when they actually are detrimental to them.  Other than that, I'm on board with Dial's message.  In a sentence, his seven suggestions are: 

(1) In a task, focus on the opportunity it brings instead of the obligation going with it...almost any endeavor contains both elements.

(2) Do the small things and fundamentals really well "day in, day out". This syncs with James Clear's notion of "atomic habits".

(3) Design your environment to make your action/discipline easier.  For example, if you're trying to lose weight then don't stock up on sweets and other comfort foods.

(4) Move your body, being physically active either with sports or exercise.

(5) Employ the "Countdown 5-4-3-2-1" method on any difficult task that involves crossing a threshold you're hesitant about...Dial says the momentum helps push you to take the necessary action.

(6) Ask yourself how you can make this disciplined action easier.  This to me sounds a lot like (3), and Dial didn't elaborate on it...maybe we can whittle it all down to six suggestions!

(7) Get an accountability partner, either one on is doing the same general thing as you or is a very annoying, persistent individual who will refuse to let you off the hook if you slide.  And be ready in return to serve that person as their accountability partner if so asked.

A lot of this I'm sure I've already written about from previous Mindset Mentor summaries on this blog.  But that's good: I totally dig overlapping and redundancy when it comes to personal development...

No comments:

Post a Comment