We're getting so pulled in by computers and technology, and our kids have their face in computers all day. The human relationship is being diminished by this. ---Lenny Kravitz
Lenny Kravitz is an American solo rock artist who I've always considered as one of the most musically talented in the profession. His singles hit Fly Away was my personal top favorite song for the year 1998, and he shined portraying Katniss' stylist Cinna in the movies The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. Although I like his music and acting, I'd like to focus on Lenny's above quote. Sixty-six years old now, I grew up and spent my early adult years free of the then-fledgling digital revolution, whereas it's the only thing that younger generations know of in life. Fifty years ago, people would be astonished at a picture of a typical city street of today with half the people quizzically staring down at their hands as if in a trance. When I went with my then-eighteen-year-old son Will to his college in Jacksonville fifteen years ago, we went to see what the main library looked like...the tables were full of students, without books, eyes glued in on their laptop computers. Whatever happened to that "cognitive reverie" of hanging out at the stacks there, surrounded by books, which is what I used to do as a student? And the video games...don't get me going with that. Of course, I, too, have my head in computers all day as well...especially considering my "smart" phone. And it's not all bad, don't get me wrong: I'm taking advantage of this wonderful opportunity to write this free blog for anyone (in a free country) in the world to read! Kids do get outside and play and interact...at least some of them. But computers have this instant feedback and reinforcement trait that can be addicting. In generations past, children had their heads in books...with mine it was television all the time...and now with the young it's computers. I wonder what the snare will be a couple of generations from now. There is one glaring difference between computers and TV/books: people...not just young...find their personal validation through social media and the Internet, and that makes it much more likely that they can be manipulated by the ones pulling the strings on the other side, often hidden...
No comments:
Post a Comment