My morning workout today consisted of me running around through the house...trying in the process to avoid tripping over our puppy dog Daisy...while watching a YouTube video of a New York City half-marathon, recorded by the same Chinese-speaking dude who recorded the full NYC Marathon back in 2019. I went to the computer to see the race's course map, and quickly noted that it didn't conform at all to what I was watching. The map had it starting in Manhattan and going to Brooklyn while "my" race had a reverse course...they're now toward the end, running right down Broadway past Times Square where Melissa, Rebecca and I visited (and stayed at the Marriott Marquis) back in 2010. And then I discovered that within New York City and the nearby area there are several marathons/half-marathons each year. Awesome, if you're a resident you can sign up for the ones you like and the subway system and shuttles can circumvent any transportation issues. But, of course, if you're like me and live more than a thousand miles away, then it gets quite a bit trickier. I wonder how many of those running in "today's" race flew or drove in from more distant locales and how many were already planted in the immediate region. Sometime in the future I'd like to have a go at a New York City race...but the external issues of getting there and getting a place to stay while fitting it all on my calendar seem to be, at least at this stage of time, pretty daunting. And I already know that, for some of the races, they're booked up many months in advance. Until I figure it all out, though, I'll keep watching videos like this one, thanks to the thoughtful people who make them...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment