For those of us who every now and then...or more often for that matter...find ourselves just moping around directionless and never getting around to getting anything done during our day, Rob Dial on his Mindset Mentor podcast a few days ago laid out seven strategies to overcome the lethargic and often negative inertia. They are (1) get up and get the body moving, (2) just take a few small steps doing something, (3) celebrate small wins even if only by congratulating yourself, (4) turn off the phone and electronics in general, (5) focus on the next 60 seconds instead of what's down the line, (6) ride the momentum when you feel it and (7) try to get around other people who can help you to move. Of course, as with everything else I pick up from Dial and others, I need to filter it all first through my own sense of discernment. Generally, I agree with his suggestions but also recognize that sometimes I just need some more sleep...and that doesn't constitute being in a rut. Yet this morning my body felt a bit achy, and I did what he suggested and started moving it...now I'm much better...pat myself on the back! As for the electronics, I don't check my phone anywhere as much as I see others stuck on theirs, and a lot of the time when I'm working out at home I have the TV on channels that help me, such as music or marathon videos. Momentum can be a good thing, but sometimes my schedule will mandate that I cut off my activity to get ready for the next one. And although being around others can sometimes be a drain on me instead of an energizer, I also recognize that sitting in a public place like a coffee shop can help me to rivet my thoughts in a more organized way that enhances my writing, reading and studying. So, kudos to Rob Dial on this particular podcast...I'm not always in tune with his message but this one...with some thoughtful caveats...was pretty helpful...
Thursday, April 20, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment