In March I ran enough, about 310 miles, although less than the previous few months because of the week's vacation that saw me traveling through Georgia, Tennesse and Kentucky. I ran in two of Gainesville's local Depot Parkrun 5K's, on the 11th and 25th, doing these public races more or less for the sake of consistency. I successfully tried wider, more thickly padded running shoes to protect my toes, but now I have another, better pair that I began wearing yesterday. As for walking, I didn't do anything extra besides my regular daily routine, which piles up mileage at my warehouse-size facility over the course of my workday. If you've read some of my running posts on this blog, you may already know of marathoner and running popularizer Jeff Galloway, who devised a clever "walk-run" strategy to get people through long-distance races like half-marathons and marathons: alternate "x" minutes of running with "y' minutes of walking...back in 2010 I made a lot of progress training on long outings with a 6:1 running-to-walking ratio. But now I'm thinking of turning Galloway's strategy on its head and alternating a lot of (fast-paced) walking with short running spikes thrown in. I especially think that this would suit the upcoming (very) hot summer season here in northern Florida...should be interesting to see how it works. In April, on Saturday the 8th, a race is taking place in Hawthorne at the very place I ran a half-marathon back in January. I had even considered entering their marathon distance race but have retreated to the half-marathon as my distance, should I choose to run in it...I'm going to check the weather forecast for Saturday before deciding. On the same morning the Florida Track Club is holding a 5K race, originally slated to be at a park near my home but just recently moved way the hell over to the other side of town. Well, if I have to go that far then I might as well just keep on driving all the way to Hawthorne for the other race. A couple of days ago I wrote about how three full videos of the New York City Marathon from the perspectives of fast, medium and slow finishers were posted on YouTube...I suggest you watch them, clicking on my links within that article to the three videos. I'm thinking that with long-distance races my future rests in that third, slowest, video and the strategies I saw in it, especially concerning those walking breaks interspersed throughout the run...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Go for it! I have knee surgery in two days and then plan to resume and expand my exercise regimen.
ReplyDelete