I noticed that YouTube has full-length marathon runs, taken from a runner's vantage point. I focused on the New York City Marathon and three videos from it, based on three widely different finishing times. (click on each of the following to watch them...I don't know how long they'll be up): (1) 3 hours 13 minutes, (2) 4 hours 46 minutes, and (3) 6 hours 6 minutes The New York City Marathon is on the first Sunday in November and takes entrants through all five boroughs, starting with Staten Island and passing through Brooklyn (for a long time), Queens, Manhattan, the Bronx and then Manhattan again before ending in the southwestern corner of Central Park. The first (and fastest) video was taken in 2019 by a Chinese-speaking runner with plenty of friends to chat with along the course of the race...that was pretty cool. In this video most everyone (but not all) were relatively young and clearly in good shape with similar strides and running styles. The second and third videos were from this past November's race and, to me are the most interesting because they represent approximations of where I was twelve years ago...let me explain. By the time 2011 rolled around, I was 54 and seriously training for an attempt at a marathon, for the first time in my life. A couple of times in the previous weeks I had surmounted 20 miles in neighborhood training runs but soon thereafter would hit that fabled "runner's wall" when the energy level would suddenly plummet. Then, on January 15, 2011, I pulled it off: a 26.6 mile run in 4 hours 23 minutes. I thought then that I was more than ready for a go at the Ocala Marathon scheduled for Sunday the 23rd...but I developed an IT-band injury near my knee that manifested in the form of pain after about ten miles of running. I rested myself to get better before the actual race and was fine for the first ten miles again...and then the pain began to reappear and intensify to the point where, until reaching Mile 19, I alternated brief painful runs with walks, which were painless as long as I didn't run. But for the last 7 miles of the race I had to walk...and slowly at that. It was a big blow to me because not only would my finishing time be lousy, but I would have to spend weeks healing, meaning that I wouldn't be able to run in Gainesville's Five Points of Life Marathon the following month. I hobbled over the finishing line at 6 hours 4 minutes...with hardly a soul there to greet me...and after being unceremoniously instructed to get on the sidewalk because traffic was being opened up again. This experience was totally different in the NYC marathon where boisterous crowds shouted encouragement and congratulations to even the slowest of runners as they approached the end. I enjoyed how the three videos kept showing, naturally, the same landmarks that the runners (and walkers) passed by...kind of reminded me of the movie Groundhog Day as "I" kept running past the 7/11 on 4th and 89th in Brooklyn, down the pretty stretch on Lafayette Avenue with all its trees and crossing the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge from Queens to Manhattan. If you sometimes run in your own home as I do, watching marathon videos like this is a fun way to at least pretend you're part of the action...but I hear it can be pretty hard getting into some of the more popular marathons since so many apply for them...
Thursday, March 30, 2023
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment