This article's title is deliberately derivative, doubly so in fact: it comes from a South Park episode titled Something Wall-Mart This Way Comes, a play upon the outstanding Ray Bradbury novel Something Wicked This Way Comes. Well, Buc-ee's is neither Walmart (South Park's spelling is different) nor wicked...although I imagine that from some people's perspective the comparisons are close. Buc-ee's is a chain of humongous convenient stores usually located at interstate highway exits, providing very clean bathroom facilities, rows upon rows of gas pumps and an enormous store with fresh-made sandwiches (they tout their beef brisket), salads, fruit, coffee and beverages, and many other items...including the pictured coffee mug and cap featuring the Buc-ee the Beaver logo. The company was founded in a Texas town in 1982 by Arch "Beaver" Aplin III, but he wouldn't expand it out of that state until 2018, when it grew explosively to many surrounding parts, primarily in the U.S. southeast. Never having heard of it before our vacation drive to Kentucky last week, we stopped off at Buc-ee's in Georgia during the outing in two different locations, Warner Robins and Calhoun. It's a bit intimidating going in there as it seems the whole world has descended on the place. I found the employees...and they hire many people...to be professional, friendly and enthusiastic: the check-out lines went fast and smoothly. The bathrooms are gigantic and, as advertised, clean, while the number of gas pumps is breathtaking. Buc-ee's doesn't permit large trucks on their facilities...tough for the drivers but great for the rest of us. Buc-ee's subscribes to the oft-promoted notion that bigger is better...Walmart would agree...but this tends to bring criticism that such a presence can negatively influence a local economy by unfair competition against smaller businesses in the area. Right now, the trend seems to be to have these mega-convenient stores out on interstate exits, not in the middle of town...and they do employ a lot of people. I first heard of the "new wave" of large convenience stores with the advent of Wawa in the Gainesville area just a few years ago, although that company has been in existence since 1804. But they are nowhere near the size of the crazy Buc-ee's stores I visited. And apparently, with Buc-ee's already in St. Augustine and Ormond Beach, construction for the third Florida store is set for Exit 358 on I-75 north of Ocala. In the Calhoun facility I even saw Buc-ee himself walking around...dang it, I missed out on the opportunity to add yet another picture of me standing next to a complete stranger in mascot garb...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment