Friday, March 10, 2023

Quote of the Week...from Steve Jobs

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.  Don't be trapped by dogma...which is living with the results of other people's thinking.                                           ---Steve Jobs

Just a couple of Fridays ago I quoted the late Steve Jobs. The late cofounder of Apple had some pretty profound things to say.  I dare say that most of us do as well, if as Jobs has suggested, we listen to our own inner voices and not allow the noise of others and their dogma drown out our own capacity for independent, realistic and positive thought.  I don't need a religious guru, political radio/TV commentator, or narcissistic business tycoon/politico to regale me with their spin on things, as if I can't figure it out for myself.  The problem, though, in this age when we can almost instantly have vast amounts of information on our smartphones...including news of the world, our country and localities...is that bias and dogma are now pervasively inherent in even the selection by various news sources as to what is reported (and what isn't), with that undesirable, underlying dogma often just in the background, out of sight.  Bill O'Reilly once had a show on FoxNews called the No-Spin Zone, but he himself was one of the worst ever spinners of information to custom-fit his own dogma.  It's only too easy in these days to hear or read a particular news story and get carried away with it...before my rational mind filters it all through what I already know to be true, and to discern what the sources and their motivations might be behind its telling.  Figuring out the news has gotten a lot more complicated...

No comments:

Post a Comment