Mindset Mentor podcaster Rob Dial recently had a show in which he said that it's a good idea to develop an alter ego type of personality, explaining that with celebrities like Kobe Bryant and Beyoncé, their own "superhero" alternate selves (Black Mamba and Sasha Fierce, respectively) enabled them to drastically overcome their own shyness and lack of confidence. I get what he's saying, but I can't help laughing anyway...I keep picturing the South Park cartoon character of Butters, a timid little boy who's had enough of being grounded by his parents and humiliated by his friends, creating...complete with an aluminum foil costume and mask, the archvillain Professor Chaos. Professor Chaos does bold, brash things little Butters would never dare do, such as secretly switching orders at restaurants, hiding his teacher's blackboard eraser, threatening mass flooding on Earth by turning on his home's outdoor hose faucet and destroying the ozone layer after buying up several aerosol cans and spraying them in the air one by one. So, while Dial may be onto something with this alter ego "Clark Kent changes to Superman" notion, it's also true that any of us could do this while at the same time not actually stepping out into that kind of effective boldness he advocates. Do you...or have you ever had...alter egos into which you transformed yourself to project a different kind of persona to the world and for your projects? In an informal way I have, and I suspect that to a degree most of us do, when for example we put on ourselves a "public" or "at work" personality that is at variance with our private selves. Still, I'm not sure that's exactly what this podcaster meant on this episode that suggested listeners create their greater selves...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment