Ellery Adams is the pen name of Jennifer Stanley, a prolific writer of mystery novels in the "cozy" subgenre. I'd already read three of her books, which she tends to divide into ongoing series, and decided to try out a new series: The Secret, Book and Scone Society with Book #1 bearing the same title. Nora Pennington has very visible burn scars on her face and body from a past traumatic accident that thoroughly traumatized her. She lives in the small western North Carolina town of Miracle Springs and loves books to the point that she opened her own bookstore there. Along with other women in town they form a tight circle of self-support as they reveal the secrets of their personal pains to one another. This ties into the book's title, for Nora and her friend who runs a nearby bakery respectively offer people a book and a scone to draw them in to help alleviate and resolve their personal pains. But an Ellery Adams novel would not be so without a murder, and a realtor approaches Nora for help. Before they can meet, though, he dies in an apparent accident...or is it an accident? Events and clues begin to tie together and soon a real estate company engaged in developing a new subdivision in the area comes under the women's suspicion...and so progresses the story. I like this series of Adams...at least this first volume of it...better than the previous ones, as well as its very likeable and admirable lead character of Nora. I should have known that, sooner or later, I would find the right Ellery Adams cozy mystery series for me. Now on to the next book, although I plan to first make a couple of detours with other books...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment