Thursday, March 2, 2023

Just Finished Reading Chili con Corpses by Ellery Adams

If you're thinking about the title of the book I'm about to discuss, I wonder if you, like myself, see it as both grotesque and funny...I keep thinking about that old South Park episode Scott Tenorman Must DieChili con Corpses is the third volume in Ellery Adams' (pen name of Jennifer Stanley) Supper Club cozy mystery series, set in the imaginary western Virgina town of Quincy's Gap.  The principals are all there again, including the protagonist James Henry, a pudgy divorced ex-college literature professor who has settled down in the area as the head of the public library.  He and four others are trying to lose weight and control their eating habits, having formed in the first book the Supper Club, more informally known among themselves as the "Flab Five"...this series is definitely not sensitive about "body shaming".  In this episode, James and Club member Lucy are in a romantic relationship, but there are serious disagreements between the two...seems like a broken record with them.  Two gorgeous young women, twins, are introduced to the group and instantly provoke jealously with their looks.  On a school field trip to a nearby cave, a murder occurs that involves them...that's all I'll say in case you want to read it.  As for the title, you South Park viewers will be relieved to know that there are no corpses in the chili.  Instead, the cuisine of this story is Mexican based, and what sounds like an excellent recipe for chili is given out...I for one happen to love chili, especially in winter and with a lot of shredded cheese on top.  The stories in this series aren't all that deep, but the writing is simple enough...an underrated talent in my opinion...and you really do get to know the characters, always a plus for me.  Still, I'm heading over to a different Ellery Adams mystery series, this one about antiques and collectibles...

No comments:

Post a Comment