Saturday, January 7, 2023

NFL Regular Season Ends This Weekend, College National Championship Monday

The next three days will finish off both the NCAA Division I college football championship as well as the National Football League regular season for "2022".  On Monday Georgia will play Texas Christian University for the national title...in the opening round of the playoffs I departed from my usual pattern and actually rooted for Big Ten Conference powerhouses Ohio State and Michigan, both of which lost close contests.  As for the Wolverines, looks like they're in for some punishment for unspecified NCAA rules violations as their prima donna coach Jim Harbaugh may once again be headed for the NFL.  I'm pulling for neither the Bulldogs or the Horned Frogs....as they like to call themselves for some reason...and, besides, I'll be at work during the game.  Regarding the NFL games this weekend, I'm focused on the Florida teams.  As I wrote a few days ago, all three are 8-8 and could make the playoffs, with Tampa Bay already in due to their lackluster division.  Jacksonville has an evening game today against Tennessee to decide their also-mediocre division's title...even if the Jaguars lose there's an unlikely scenario where they could sneak into the playoffs as an 8-9 team.  Miami has the poorest chance of making it.  First, even if they win their contest against the New York Jets tomorrow, New England must lose (or tie) against Buffalo since the Patriots have the tiebreaker advantage over the Dolphins.  And Miami has lost five straight games and is depending on their third-string quarterback to carry them in the regular season finale.  The Bucs, by the way, will be playing an essentially meaningless game at Atlanta since they're already set to play either the Dallas Cowboys or Philadelphia Eagles at home in the playoff's first round, depending on how those teams do in Sunday's games.  Working in favor of the Jags and Fins is that they will both be playing at home while the Pats will be at Buffalo.  Still, the Bills must depend on Kansas City losing their game this afternoon at the Raiders, an unlikely proposition.  And if the Chiefs win, then Buffalo just might hold back some with their starters against New England, thereby hurting Miami's chances.  But the Dolphins put themselves in this situation of depending on others with their long losing streak...although all of those losses have been close.  I guess by all this you know that I'll be following football this weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment