Saturday, December 3, 2022

Watching College Football Conference Championship Games Today

I've been enjoying my weekend so far, among my "activities" being sitting in front of the TV and watching college football conference championships games.  I was disappointed to miss last night's Pacific-12 championship contest between Utah...which my hometown Gators beat at the beginning of the season...and USC...which only had to win this game to go on to the four-team championship playoffs.  In the last couple of years, I have been undergoing a kind of sea change about my team allegiances...in the past I've consistently gone against both the Trojans and Nick Saban's Alabama.  Yet this time around I found myself rooting for the Crimson Tide and being disappointed in their tight regular season losses to Tennessee and LSU.  I thought they didn't have a chance to make the playoffs, but in the past two weeks a succession of improbable results involving schools ahead of them in the polls has now elevated them to consideration for a final championship playoff slot, now that TCU...hitherto undefeated but in a weaker conference...just lost their Big-12 championship game in overtime to Kansas State.  Now Georgia, Michigan and Ohio State are pretty much assured of being in the playoffs while that final spot comes down between the Horned Frogs and Tide.  I'm listening to the TV sports jocks and announcers throw their own opinions around and think that the selection committee will probably pick TCU despite today's loss because if they don't, then the playoff will consist only of teams from two conferences...and then the opening round will pit same-conference teams against each other.  No, they don't won't that kind of scenario and criticism, so even though I...and most others...believe Alabama is a better team with higher prospects of advancing, they'll pick the sentimental favorite TCU.  This in spite of the fact that TCU had to come from behind in the second half in five of their twelve wins and played opponents generally inferior to those that Alabama had to play.  Oh well, there's politics in just about anything that involves the act of subjective choice among people with power...sorry, Nick, but I think you're about to get screwed over...

No comments:

Post a Comment