This morning I ran Gainesville, Florida's free timed-and-posted 5K (3.1 miles) race: the Depot Parkrun, held Saturday mornings, appropriately, in pretty Depot Park just south of downtown. It's the eighth time I've run in this event, which has been held 152 times so far, and my first there since March earlier this year. The course is a winding loop, slightly hilly in some places, through the nature scenery. It takes four laps to cover the distance, and you sign up in advance online and get a printable barcode that they scan along with the little plastic card they hand you at the finish line giving your time. Then, about an hour later you can see the results online...click HERE for today's. This morning the temperature was a foggy and unseasonably warm 66 degrees with, naturally, 100% humidity. Still, it was better than last Sunday's conditions on the Hawthorne Trail when I struggled through the Tom Walker Memorial Half-Marathon...I entered today's race to build my confidence back up and employ a better running strategy, which I did. Not even remotely trying to set any personal records, I simply ran a comfortable, sustainable pace under the conditions and finished with a time of 31:38. Out of the 99 runners and walkers finishing the race, I crossed the finish line 43rd and was the 7th oldest...I thoroughly dig seeing my fellow senior citizens out there! I still haven't decided what to do about next Sunday's half-marathon being held from Hawthorne, a few miles southeast of Gainesville. First, I think I'll check out the long-range forecast for that morning and, if the temperatures and conditions look substantially better than they were at the Tom Walker Race (meaning much cooler), I'll probably enter it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment