Tuesday, November 1, 2022

I Voted, Let the Election Take Its Course

Melissa and I have both filled out, signed and mailed our ballots for the November general election this year.  But those political ads continue on TV, annoying in their negativity and dishonesty...wish I could somehow get some sort of exemption from having to see them...wait a minute, how about just muting them and looking away!  Although progressive documentary filmmaker Michael Moore has predicted the Democrats will do very well in this election, most other people...including myself...think that the Republicans will take over control of the House of Representatives and possibly even achieve a Senate majority, while continuing their control of most state legislatures and governorships.  Why?  One reason as I see it: Democratic-leaning voters reverting to their old habit of sitting on their hands during off-year elections whenever "their" president is in power, as if they expect him to wave a magic wand and decree everything they want.  Folks, that ain't how things work here in America!  You have to be a consistently active, interested voter on the local, state and national level in every election presented to you.  If one party's constituents statistically pass over elections that don't "excite" them, then the other has a built-in advantage that regularly results in unpopular politicians elected and unpopular legislation enacted (upheld by unpopular judges).  Getting out on the streets and protesting the actions of people you could have voted against is NOT "democracy in action" as one deluded senator had earlier claimed.  In spite of all the rhetoric about voter suppression going on in various states, the sad truth is that the drop-off in voting during off-year elections is primarily due to too many registered voters WILLFULLY REFUSING to exercise their civic duty as Americans.  Not that I plan to let this election get under my skin...I performed my voting responsibility as a citizen and can't control what others choose to do (or not do).  Along with our mail-in ballots we received a notice that we will have to reapply to receive them for future elections.  I myself would much rather vote in person on Election Day and only went absentee because of Covid...

No comments:

Post a Comment