Thursday, October 20, 2022

I Want Condensed Baseball, Please

The Major League Baseball playoffs for 2022 have finally reached the League Championship Series, when the top two teams from each league play a best-of-seven series to determine who will be playing in this year's World Series.  Last year's champion, the Atlanta Braves, won their division but were eliminated in the playoffs by wild card Philadelphia.  In the Amercian League Houston, who lost to the Braves in the '21 Series, is playing the New York Yankees.  Meanwhile, on the National side the Phillies face the upstart San Diego Padres for that league's pennant.  I like to watch baseball, although for nearly all of the time a game is going on, nothing is really happening.  Much of the time I'm okay with this as I can easily walk away from the TV and do other things.  But since there are already built-in breaks after each half inning, I'd like to have the option of watching a game with the action condensed to eliminate any time in which the ball isn't in play or there's no action on the bases.  I'm guessing that most games could be reduced to about 20-25 minutes this way.  Of course, while a game is going on live this couldn't be done, but why not have an option...make it late at night if that's convenient...where the game is presented super-condensed, eliminating the boring commentary and dugout bubblegum-blowing and spitting? This especially makes sense to me when I have another commitment, such as work, and can't get myself in front of a TV to watch a live game....I sure don't want to invest more than two hours to watch a repeat broadcast!  Will my suggestion ever be adopted? Probably not, since it's probably all about advertising, anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment