On one of his recent Mindset Mentor podcasts, personal development coach Rob Dial lists and describes four tips to learning better. He's covered this material before...I like the reinforcement of the message. First of all, he suggests the use of the "Pomodoro" method of studying hard and focused for 25 minutes and then taking a (non-cellphone) break for 5...and then returning to the studying. He says that studies have shown that this periodic short rest period gives the brain the time it needs to properly assimilate the material. Second, he urges the student to try teaching the material just learned to another person, and in the simplest language possible that can adequately convey it. Third, he says that the inevitable difficult areas that present blocks in the road are important to learning and to stress overcoming them...duh! Finally, Dial suggests that once finished with this process, go back and repeat it. He bases his tips on what he has learned can increase neuroplasticity, which enables learning to take place. For me, I remember learning back in the fourth grade the "SQ2R" method of tackling a book or lesson: first SURVEY the material to be covered, without undue attention to detail. Then pause and reflect on it, asking yourself QUESTIONS that come up about it. Next, READ the material in depth and do the assigned problems. Finally, go back and REVIEW what you've just covered in the session. I suppose it's a good idea to practice both lists of learning ideas. I think I already unconsciously do that Pomodoro technique anyway since I tend to start zoning out after about 20-25 minutes of intense studying...
Tuesday, September 20, 2022
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment